When you open Sequel Ace, the first screen that you will see is the database connection window. If you don’t have access to a MySQL server, perhaps you could try installing MySQL or MariaDB on your Mac.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I migrate my favorites from Sequel Pro to Sequel Ace?
Please check out this page for info on how to migrate from Sequel Pro!
I am having trouble connecting to a database. It says: Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/tmp/mysql.sock’ (2)
Unfortunately, due to sandboxing nature, Sequel Ace is not allowed to connect to the sockets which are out of the Sandbox. As a workaround, you can create a socket in
~/Library/Containers/com.sequel-ace.sequel-ace/Data and connect to it. This can be done by putting these lines to your MySQL configuration file (usually,
I’m having trouble connecting to a MySQL 4 or MySQL 5 database on localhost with a MAMP install.
See Connecting to MAMP or XAMPP.
My SSH connection gives the error: SSH port forwarding failed and MySQL said: Lost connection to MySQL server at ‘reading initial communication packet’, system error: 0
On the server, configure MySQL by editing /etc/my.cnf and comment or remove
skip-networking from the
[mysqld] section. Then, restart MySQL Server.
Sequel Ace doesn’t read my
Sequel Ace runs in a sandboxed mode and by default cannot access your SSH config file. If you’d like to use a custom SSH config file, open Sequel Ace’s preferences (from the menu bar), go to the “Network” settings tab, and select the SSH config file you would like to use. The same config file will be used for all connections. If your config file references other files in the filesystem, Sequel Ace will not be able to access these other files by default due to security constraints - to allow access to these files, please go to the “Files” tab in Sequel Ace’s Preferences and grant access to these other support files.
- If you enter a database, it will be selected when the connection to the server is established. Otherwise you can select one of the databases on the server afterwards.
- If you enter no port on a standard/SSH connection, Sequel Ace uses the default port for MySQL, port 3306.
- If you enter no SSH port on a SSH connection, Sequel Ace uses the default port for SSH, port 22.
- Click “‘Add to Favorites”’ to save the connection for use next time you open Sequel Ace. Passwords are stored in the Keychain. To re-order favourites click the pencil in the bottom left of the connection window, (or choose Preferences > Favorites from the Sequel Ace menu) then drag the favourites in the list.
- You can connect to multiple databases simultaneously by opening a new window (File > New) or ⌘ + N